Welcoming our latest Brand Ambassador Arnab Laha from Uttar Pradesh, India!
If you are not a surveyor, what do you do? I am a doctoral student at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India, specializing in Space Geodesy, focusing on Earth Orientation Parameters (EOP) analysis using Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI). I’m also actively involved in assisting students with survey instruments and teaching subjects like surveying, remote sensing, and GNSS. Please have a look at my webpage for updated information: https://home.iitk.ac.in/~alaha/
How long have you been in the industry? I am a Civil Engineer with a background in surveying from my bachelor’s studies. I pursued remote sensing during my master’s degree and am currently engaged in advanced surveying techniques for my PhD. I bring five years of practical experience in the surveying field to my work.
Are you part of any associations or organisations you would like us to mention? I have been associated with the National Centre for Geodesy at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur.
Why do you want to be a GKiS Brand Ambassador? As I explored the GKiS website, I noticed their commitment to fostering tech-savvy and innovative students in surveying. My objective is to simplify complex technical terms, making it easier for students to grasp both innovative survey techniques and traditional geodesy methods. I am committed to closing the knowledge gap in geodesy and surveying, recognizing their significance in both modern and developing societies.
Why is it important for kids to know about surveying and the wider geospatial industry? It is important for kids to know about surveying and the wider geospatial industry as;
- To be aware of new technologies and inventions happening worldwide in this field.
- To understand about this field and make a career in surveying and geodesy.
- To know about real-world applications such as reading maps, finding positions, calculating distances and angles, and positioning devices.
What are you going to do as an ambassador for GKiS? As an ambassador for GKiS, if possible, I want to go for;
- Organizing online seminars and presentations about surveying and geospatial sciences.
- Organize live demonstrations of surveying equipment and technology, allowing children to see how surveying works.
- Establish mentorship programs where experienced geodesists or surveyors can guide and inspire young individuals interested in this field.
What are your hobbies? I love to explore various places and click photographs, giving me many memories and timeless happiness. I also understand new innovations and inventions happening worldwide during my free time.
What resource would you like to see next from GKiS? The resources that I would like to see next from GKiS are;
- A well-defined curriculum is designed for students in schools and diploma colleges.
- Puzzles and games related to surveying.
- More exciting views on websites like those related to space, earth’s crust, etc.
- Telling about new surveying techniques.
Anything else you want to add that you think our audience (surveyors, teachers, parents) would be interested in? Nowadays, everyone wants to know about the current events happening around the world related to their respective fields. The contribution made by the surveying community as a whole should be demonstrated on the website as a blog to learn about various research going on globally.